Saturday, March 30, 2013

Baby Products we just don't like.


They've been few and far between, but some products are better left at the store.  Here are a few, that we can live without...

1. Playtex Airvent Bottles:  When I had to feed Irelynn from a bottle for the first time, this was the bottle I choose.  For starters, the "slow" flow nipple is not really slow, not for a newborn at least.  She drank her bottle in . 5 seconds and then puked it back up in about .10.   To be fair, I had no clue what I was doing when it came to choosing a bottle since we had chosen to breastfeed, however, after being told I HAD to supplement (what a bunch of crap)  I went for the brand that I had heard of my entire life.  The second feature of this bottle that I do not like is the bottom  with the "airvent", not sure if I have a few defective bottles but they seem to leak sometimes, not to mention boiling hot water seems to get stuck in the bottom (from when we warm it) and pours out once I tip the bottle to feed her.  Thankfully, she has never been burned but, we won't be risking it anymore. 

2. Non-Soothie pacifiers:  Before I gave birth, I had also decided that I did not want Irelynn to have a pacifier... Thanks to the lovely nurse who convinced me once again that I HAD to give her one.. she started using the "Soothie" brand that the hospital gives you.  Not really sure why she HAD to have one but once we came home and I had been brainwashed (okay walked over and convinced) I bought some cute little pacifiers with designs.. she couldn't seem to keep them in her mouth.  Not sure if she just hated them or if she couldn't actually keep them in her mouth but either way, a waste of money.  As for the Soothie brand.. she loved them for the first 3 months and then started only using them when she is super tired and needs a little "help" falling a sleep.  Side note:  If you DON'T want your baby to have a pacifier.. there is not reason to give into the pressure from ANY "experienced" nurse or family member.  Sure they do help calm most babies but your the parent, stick to your guns!  With that being said.. There are a lot times I'm glad she has that paci!

3. Crib Bumpers:  After we found out that we were having a girl, I immediately started planning the nursery.  Of course one of the first things on my check list was the theme and finding a cute bedding set.  After lots of reading (I know you're out their googling away yourself.. just admit it.)  I found out that crib bumpers really aren't that safe and the benefits (i.e. keeping baby from bumping their head, getting their foot stuck in the slots..) don't out weight the risks (i.e. SIDS)  So when our bedding set came in the mail.. I rolled the bmper up and stuck it under our bed.  My thought is maybe when she is 1 we'll put it on there.. until then, under the bed it will stay.  In case your wondering how she is doing without using one.. she's just fine :)  Sometimes I find her little foot peaking out of one of the slots, but she never seems to be "stuck" or hurt.  Those things can heal is how I look at it.. & if you really want one, they sell breathable ones but I don't know how "breathable" they really are.

4. Velcro swaddlers:   I THOUGHT I was going to love these.  I bought 3 of them (20$) from the store and was so excited for Irelynn to arrive to try them out.. Well, she was not a fan. For starters, she was not a fan of being swaddled.  The only time she was swaddled was in the hospital and even then she was rolling herself onto her side in that little hospital bassinet and I should have realized once we got home, even trying these was a waste of time.  In addition to her not liking being swaddled.. I didn't like these because the velcro is so loud if you need to unswaddle the baby quietly.  Lets say the baby is too hot, happens to just spit up a little on the blanket after you swaddled them up.. good luck getting this blanket off without waking baby!

5. Newborn Night Gowns:  No real issue with these.. just our preference to not use them.  The one time I attempted to put one on her.. it just seemed to be fitting really weird as I tried to put it on (the bottom was so tight and it was a one size fits all)  We packed them up and stored them away.

6. Munchkin Precision Bottle Warmer:  Okay, so, this product is on our "products we don't like" list however, we still use it...  We bought one.. took it out of the box.. didn't work.  Took it back, exchanged it for a working one and it does warm her bottles (most of the time), but sometimes it just shuts off before it finishes her bottle, it's a weird design (the handle detaches and you can't lift it with the handle.. weird.)  I just don't love this bottle warmer and I wouldn't recommend it but we are still in search of a new one .. so until then I'll keep using it, even though I'm not a fan.  

What products have you tried that just don't work for your family?       

No comments:

Post a Comment